Sunday, December 11, 2011

Week09: Apple Streusel Cheesecake Bars

I love layers. Desserts with a few different tastes all working together are some of my favorite. I also wanted something really complex to offset the simplicity of last week's sugar cookies. So I present, the Apple Streusel Cheesecake Bars. 



First step is the crust, since it has to be baked a bit alone.


Using my newly acquired pastry knife, I blend butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and flour together till crumbly. It's pressed into the square container and baked till golden.


The next layer is the cheesecake layer. Cream cheese, and sugar is blended.


Add an egg and some vanilla extract...


Pour the cheesecake mixture onto the baked crust.


Next I peel, core, and slice into small bites, Granny Smith apples. Most apples go limp when baked, but Granny Smith apples stay firm after baking.


The bite sized chunks are covered in cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg.


And sprinkled over the cheesecake batter.


The final layer is the Streusel. Butter, flour, brown sugar, rolled oats, and cinnamon.


Blend until crumbly and sprinkle over the apple layer.


A short time in the oven later, and the Cheesecake bars are done.


I love how Christmas-y it feels with the apples and nutmeg. 


They are super delicious! The sweetness of the apples goes with the crunch of the streusel, with a creamy cheesecake layer and then the firm brown crust giving it structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment