Sunday, December 4, 2011

Week08: Flavored Sugar Cookies


Christmas isn't complete in the states till you've eaten at least a pound of sugar cookies. My family always liked peppermint cookies, but since then I have experimented with almond, as well as rum flavored. Since I couldn't possibly narrow down what my customers would like best, I am making all three! Conveniently color coded for flavor. Green is peppermint, red is almond, and yellow is rum flavored.

Start with butter (of course).



The butter has to be softened, then added to sugar. A lot of sugar.


Eggs come next.


Mix well with vanilla.


This makes a very creamy and sweet base.


All that's left to make the dough is baking powder and flour, lots of flour.


Mmmm, over 1.8 kilos of dough. Delicious, but currently plain sugar cookie taste.


Fix that by adding flavorings, and colorings to make them readily identifiable. Red is almond, yellow is rum, and green is peppermint.


Roll them out super thick, and cut. (each cookie is 80 grams after baking)


It didn't come out so well in the final cookies, but I imprinted a snowflake on the top of each cookie with a small wooden stamp cleaned and covered in flour.


Mmmm, cooked and cooled, I love seeing the three colors together.


Can you handle a stack?


No comments:

Post a Comment