Monday, December 26, 2011

Week11: Chocospresso Oatmeal Cookies


I wanted to make cookies again this week, but the sugar cookies from a few weeks before seemed a bit plain compared to the weeks ahead and behind. I figure any cookies I bring in really have to have zing and layered flavors. I looked at some fabulous ginger molasses cookies, as well as Stollen cookies, but when I heard the combination of espresso, chocolate, and oats, I knew I found a winner. Apologies as the crazy Christmas schedule kept me from making more photos. 


Start with softened butter...


In another bowl, dutch process cocoa, salt, flour, and baking soda are sifted.


The softened butter is combined with sugar and beaten till smooth. Then cooled espresso (I use only the most delicious espresso from Litli Bondabærinn) and vanilla extract is added and the mixture beaten again.  The cocoa/flour mixture is then poured in gradually till blended.


Next comes a generous amount of rolled oats, and dark chocolate chips.


This makes a thick, sticky, heavy dough. The dough is rolled, cut, and chilled in the fridge for an hour.


After baking, the cookies are done. Every bite you get an instant breath of the rich espresso, then the smooth moist sweet flavor of the cookie, made a bit grown-up by the oats, and chunks of delicious chocolate. It's complex and rich, just how I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment