Monday, October 31, 2011

Week03 Strawberry Cobbler


Week 3 had some hickups, but that's why I start the experiment early on Sunday, so I have over a full week to perfect things and ensure I have all the ingredients and packages. First was the square package design. This is the only one that requires folding, and it took some time to get a fold that held nicely with only the baking paper exposed to the food, water-tight, and held it's shape. You can see the first 3 tries in this image, the one in the front is what I went with. I have to fold the baking paper and craft-paper at the same time, and at the last minute before opening into the box shape, slide in a cardboard square between them to give the bottom strength.


Next I had a problem with the temperature and timing. The original recipe assumes a much larger glass dish with a shallower desert. I like the dough portion soft and moist, which requires it be thicker, which through off the timing. Also putting in the strawberries first was a no-no as the juice soaked into the baking paper, cardboard, and ruined the stiffness and nice presentation. It did make for a nice photo though with the batter spreading over the strawberries!

I also had another problem. The container wasn't stiff enough, and the batter wanted to run out, pushing the sides down. I made a quick brace for them while they're baking out of un-coated wire (so it will bake safely). After it cools, it retains it's shape nicely without the braces.


Sugar, whole milk, cinnamon, and of course, flour and butter.


Batter goes in first, I cut down on the milk amount from the original too for a more viscous and dense pastry. It's not wet enough to soak into the baking paper.


Strawberries go on top, a full 750 grams, 3/4 a kilo of berries!


I cut a slice so you can see into the warm moist goodness (the uncut top is slightly boring).

And finally with stamped lid.


It's so gooey and nice. A quick zap in the microwave or oven, add Ice Cream, and you're in heaven!




No comments:

Post a Comment