Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Week16: S'mores Cookies


S'mores cookies! What could be better. S'mores is an abbreviation for "I want some more". They are traditionally eaten around a campfire. One roasts a marshmallow till it becomes the desired temperature and brownness, and then add it to a sandwich of Graham crackers with chocolate inside. What you get is a honey graham crunchy outside (they are called crackers, but they are cookies) and a gooey warm chocolate and marshmallow center.  Since delivering a campfire in a paper container is impossible at our current technology, I've turend the S'mores experience into a cookie!


First I need graham crackers. The kind I want is impossible to source in Iceland, but only comes in square shape anyway, and I can only package round cookies. These are my excuses for making the crackers from scratch, but I don't think anyone will complain. Start with brown sugar, flour, salt and baking powder.


Pulse till combined.


Add cold butter.


Pulse that till it's combined.


The main flavor comes from honey.


Honey, cream, and vanilla are added to the flour/butter/sugar mixture and pulsed till it comes together.


Chilled for a bit in the fridge.


Rolled out, cut...


and baked till crispy. Delicious even by themselves.


Next I need marshmallows. Store bought marshmallows are never that great, and the ones we get here in Iceland are both too large, and a bit stale tasting from their long trip from overseas.  I start with gelatin soaked in a bit of water.


Next comes Golden Syrup. I don't use corn syrup, can't stand the stuff.


Golden syrup is combined with water and sugar.


Stirred over heat till dissolved.


And boiled to soft-ball stage.


Next I add this boiling hot sugar mixture to the gelatin in a mixer.


Ten minutes of high speed mixing results in a fluffy incredibly sticky concoction.


The tray it's poured in must be "floured" with powdered sugar or the marshmallow will stick. I am cutting into small chunks, but it's also possible to pipe it into tubes and cut into normal marshmallow shapes.


After an hour in the fridge to set, I take it out of the tray on a surface covered in more powdered sugar.


And cut them into small delicious squares.


Graham and Marshmallows done, now for the cookie itself. Brown sugar, white sugar, and butter.


Mixed together and then add an egg. 


Add flour, salt, a bit of cinnamon, and rising agents and mix till the dough forms.


Next comes the 70% dark chocolate chips. I'm using such a dark chocolate since the marshmallows are so sweet.


Add the chips into the dough and blend.


I mix in the marshmallow squares as well, form small balls and place over each cracker.


After a few minutes in the oven, the dough starts to melt over the cracker. Halfway through I pull the tray out and press a chocolate square into the top of each one.


After they come out and cool, they have a delightful marbleized look. You can see the ribbons of marshmallow and chunks of chocolate.


And yes, they taste as good as they look. :-)

4 comments:

  1. oh my god you are a super cookie genius.... I gotta try something like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, glad you like the photos. The taste of the cookies is even better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good! :) I may have to try making something like this sometime..

    Also wondering about s'mores ... do you eat them in Iceland often? I'm going to Iceland as an exchange student this month and wondering if I should bring marshmallow fluff or something along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, most Icelanders have never had s´mores. I see Marshmallows fairly regularly, but marshmallow creme only occasionally when Hagkaup does "america days" Kostur, the costco style bulk american store might have it all the time, but I do not go their often and never looked specifically for that.

    ReplyDelete